Thursday 24 June 2021

Parables

 Parables



We met for coffee after six

To discuss his life and his work

I thanked him for the interview 

It wasn’t easy, now that he’s famous

To grab him for an hour or so

I promised to be succinct and brief

‘Take all the time you like’ 

And seemed to really mean it. 


‘Your parables are a big thing 

With the ordinary people of Ireland 

Your popularity is sky high

Do you think you’ll run for President?’

He gave me a wistful smile

And gave me a pat on the shoulder

‘I’d far prefer to say something 

That lasts beyond the election cycle.’


‘Something that people will remember 

A hundred years from now 

Ideas that resonate and stand

On their logic or not at all. 

Something than all men can agree

No matter their language or custom,’


He was generous with his time

And I offered another coffee

‘Perhaps we deserve a beer’

So willingly I joined him. 

We shared some stories of old

We laughed at all the pettiness

Of the musty passport office. 


Later on we were joined by fans

Who somehow discovered our corner 

We chatted and laughed into the night

As we sought to put everything right. 

When we went to pay for the drinks 

The barman said it was covered 

By the parable teller, the miracle healer

Who slipped out an hour before closing. 


Next morning I gathered my notes

Written on bar mats and napkins 

I hoped my editor would approve 

Of my article for the supplement. 

He asked if my sources were kosher

I laughed and said it was Gospel. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment