Thursday 25 November 2021

What my father gave me

 What my father gave me…


Like a well that has run down

It seemed the waters staunched

In my middle years as I wrestled

With the world and his memory. 


And now I’ve remembered

How could I just forget

The ideals that he shared with me

That became my very floor-plans?


So close to me they stayed unseen

Hidden clearly for all to see

I thought I’d traveled but here I am

Where first the journey started.   


Impatient of the hypocrite

Well researched and sober

His favourite saying I recall

Love the sinner hate the sin.


A belly laugh, a howl of fun

When listening to the weekend Goons

The Sunday lunch pierced with jokes

That left him helpless with silly laughter.


Like many sons I ploughed my furrow

Broad and wide and far from home

Humbled now to discover

We are back where we belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment