Monday 24 January 2022

Faith of our fathers

 Mourning my lost faith


I’m sitting in my favorite church

This Sunday afternoon 

Beside the carving of Newman

The champion of the conscience. 


I miss the many times I spent

In prayer and contemplation 

Of the final times and truths

In this venue, in this very pew. 


I miss the Taizé Mass on Sunday evening

The chapel lit with candles warmed by faith

And simple hymns that lifted the soul 

That gave the mind some space. 


All alone in the quiet chapel 

As the clock turns four p.m. 

And this winter evening

Draws to a quiet close. 


The Church of the Assumption in Dalkey

The heart of the village and its Centre 

Where all our children were christened

We returned at Christmas and Easter. 


The faith of an old generation

Now dying away in their droves

As Ireland enters a new age

Finding its way as it goes. 


The light is dying I’m afraid

The stained glass windows grow dim

I head back into the street

Where couples are holding hands.


The faith I no longer practice

Brought out the best in me

Proving, if needed, that life 

Isn’t always a cup of tea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment