Thursday 17 March 2022

Auschwitz eyes

 I look into the eyes 


I look into the eyes of those who died

In the concentration camp at Auschwitz 

They seem to speak across the years

And from my little mobile screen

Their lives and death spark tears. 


Aged but thirty, twenty or even two

Brought by train to the final station where

The appetite for murder knew no bounds 

The cries of millions died without the sound

Escaping from the halls of death. 


Bless me Father for I cannot

Understand a God who shuts his ears

To the prayers of his chosen ones

No sleight of piety can erase

The suffering of their final days. 


Their young clear faces speak to me

Across the decades, across the seas,

What can we do to avoid this scene

Being repeated in our times

This lack of kindness and humanity?


We look at Kyiv overcome by horror

Disbelieving the bombs and murder

Ukraine dies before our eyes

To save us from a similar fate

We must give help, not leave it late. 


There is a chain of Ukraine cities

Twinned with Auschwitz and with Birkenau

The innocent that haunt our days

Joined in sorrow and in grief

Challenge what we all believe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment