Thursday 10 March 2022

Old age

 I saw the man 


I saw the man I may become 

Walking ‘cross the aisle 

In Michaels Church Dun Leary

Make his way to the sanctuary. 


Past the candles lit for causes 

Near and far, for young and old

Against a window that showed a sky

Dark with rain as showers ran by. 


Ten years older, early eighties

Pointing where I may arrive

If so fortunate to survive

And reach my eighties still alive. 


Slightly bowed, but resolute,

Neatly dressed with polished shoes

Is ten years enough for me

To smarten up with dignity? 


‘Old age is no fun’ my mother said to me

And to anyone who cared to listen

But still she holds the record

In the McDonagh family tree. 


Living longer is a blessing

Even if it means complaints

Aches and pains and doctors visits

Every pain is worth the gain


Of seeing dawn in the morning

And the sunsets light up the skies

Grateful for this one way ticket

And every station on the journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment