Tuesday 4 May 2021

I travelled far

 I traveled far


I traveled far only to return

To where it all begun

I sailed west for decades

To reach the port where I was born


I climbed the mountain 

And down the other side

I yielded to my fate

That kept me on the level. 


What is progress but a cosmic circle 

That shields our eyes in early days

And suggests we’re traveling further

Til time ordains that more means nearer. 


To see our parents with new parent eyes

To greet them as we would our children

To understand their joys and terrors too

Their lives climb out of photos no longer new. 


We have risen on their shoulders 

We have thrived upon their savings 

The sacrifices they made in silence 

Still speak softly through the years. 


So the time to pass the baton

Appears more clearly every day

It’s a joy to take part in

The relay race that starts in May. 


Twenty twenty one sounds so handsome 

A lofty year astride another 

The year the vaccines saved our bacon

By helping us destroy the Covid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment