Saturday 8 May 2021

Seventy

 Seventy 


I’ve seventy in my sights

A very special birthday

I thought I mightn’t reach

And often did my best

To avoid this special feast. 


Especially when younger

I tempted all the fates

Fell off some boundary walls

Bounced my head off gates

And concrete pavements too. 


But the danger really came

With a license and a car

When the faster that I drove

Brought me nearer to God

In ways I hadn’t thought. 


When not behind a wheel

Then propped up at a bar

And nearly killed myself

With wine and beer and more. 


Burning candles at both ends

Became my favorite habit

And then I wondered 

Why my health ran down 

Aged merely fifty one. 


These decades fill with pills

Exams and more procedures 

I keep the medics busy

We’re running out of lives 

Seven gone and counting. 


I’m thankful and I’m planning

To enjoy the years remaining

Embracing life more sensibly 

I’ll start the daily training. 


 Today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment